So, we’ve gone from cleaning your face to moisturizing it, to getting your hair into tip top shape. So what’s next? hello, makeup! You’re the perfect blank slate by now, ready for the next step. Cold weather makes getting made up a little easier- I mean, you’re probably not going to sweat through your makeup on the way to work now that summer’s over.
Foundation and highlighters:
1. A great make up job starts with clean skin and great foundation. I noticed that the Lupita Nyong’o Lancome ad for Teint Idole had some fine print that said ‘come in to a Lancome counter for a free ten day supply’. I was there first thing the next morning. I got a vial of foundation one shade lighter and one shade darker than my real skin color. I’ve been patting on the lighter foundation with the Urban Beauty United Blender Baby sponge, then using the tip of the sponge to swipe the darker color under my cheekbones and beside my nose to contour those areas. I wore Teint Idole to a party in a hot apartment? I was still covered when I got home. #slamdunk
2. I’m also partial to Perfekt Beauty Skin perfecting Conceal and Skin Perfection Gel. You pat the color on for even coverage, maybe spritz your face with some Avene Theremal Spring Water to set your face and go. And here’s new product that I got at Beautypress’s Spotlight Day Jo Mousselli’s Skin Renewing Concealer, which provides even coverage (I got the neutral shade) especially for the eye area, since laying on eyeshadow and mascara and fasle eyelashes can cause a lot of tugging, i can see how a skin renewing/moisturizing concealer is a good idea.
3. Everybody needs a little highlighter, and these will come in handy. I’ve had this little stick of Benefit Watt’s Up for awhile, and I refuse to part with it. I use it to highlight my browbones, sometimes I use it along my lashline to look more awake. I just layer some brown eyeshadow over it- it’s amazing. Now I have a backup plan in Kryolan’s Highlighter in Cashmere. I used it with the Teint Idole foundation to contour by painting a light line down the center of my nose. I also put some on my cheekbones, instant light under my Bobbi Brown pot rouge. I don’t wear makeup all the time, but when I do I want quality and endurance. I love the Ulta Color Pure Eyeshadow Pigment Powder in Yolo, but i haven’t quite gotten the hang of using it. I open the flip top jar and poof! so I’m trying to learn to sneak up on it and use it sparingly.
Eye creams, lash serums, pencils and lashes:
1. MD Complete Anti-Aging Eye Wrinkle Remover is a great prep product for your eye area. I don’t know if my wrinkles disappeared, but my eye area was nicely moisturized. You guys already know how much I love the Mary Kay Indulge Cooling Eye Gel. #superlove I’m also deep into the Measurable Difference Lash & Brow Amplifying Serum. I’m of the opinion that it makes my lashes look fuller. I put this Bodyography Foundation Primer on my eye area to create the perfect setting for eye makeup. Ok, yes- I’m a little conceited about my eyes. Whatever, let’s move on, cause we have a lot more eye stuff to talk about.
2. I found this sample of Artistry Luxury Creme Luxury Eye by Amway at an event. I haven’t tried it yet, but I’m intrigued by the double use of the word ‘luxury’. I got these two eye pencils from The Makeup Show. Makeup Forever Aqua Matic Waterproof Glide-On Eyeshadow is incredible. I got s-60, satiny warm brown, and it basically does everything that the name and description claim. It’s waterproof, goes on smoothly, is easily blendable, and the color is warm and saturated. #winner I also got the OCD Cosmetic Coulour pencil in Sebastian, which I’ve used as a lip and eye pencil. I love this Urban Beauty United ‘Trimming Twins’ tool. the cap has a brow brus and comb- which I’ve also used in my lashes. Under the clear plastic cap is the trimming razor, a tool that I’ve always been afraid of, but this time? I got clean, arched brows and a jolt of confidence. #winner I’m still working on using this Eyeko Skinny Liquid Eyeliner. It works on the back of my hand, but the minute it gets near my eyelid? Nada. #stillresearching I know good results are possible, I mean I got it in a Glossy Box, so I’m going to keep trying.
3. I’m not big on false eyelashes, but I got these directly from Kiss at the Beauty press Spotlight Day. I tried both sets, just to see, and I actually liked the effect. I got the Kitty- which has a kind of cross hatch pattern of lashes, and ‘Shy’ from the Looks So Natural line. They were easy to apply, the glue holds well, but was easy to remove. Definitely something I want to use more often. You can see all the styles available at www.kissusa.com.
Shadows, pencils, mascaras:
1. More pencils! Butter London’s Wink Eye Pencil in Union Jack Black laysdown a deep dark line that looks like velvet. You can be as sharp or ad smudgy as you like, this pencil is down for whatever. Same goes for Xtreme Lashes Glideliner Long Lasting Eye Pencil has a kohl like depth and is as long lasting as it’s name says. I loved playing with the shimmery Lash Amplifying Liquid Eyeliner from Measurable Difference in black pearl, its a little line of glam, something people might not notice right away- but you know why you’re eyes have an extra twinkle. #winner Origins Peeper Pleaser Eye Shadow in Iris and Deep Sea is a pleasant surpise from a company better known for skincare.
2. This eyeshadow duo from Kevyn Aucoin, #206 is taupe shimmer/blackened shimmer, is rich and luxurious. You can use a wet brush to intensify the color, use it to highlight, use it as eyeliner- it’s amazing. No less intense is the packaging- it comes in a smoky lacquered compact with a gold bar that you press to open it, and you can keep it in a little velvet case. Just taking it out is a ritual.
3. Mascara!!! I LOVE mascara. I am a mascara junkie. It changes your appearance in a few swipes, makes your eyes bigger, gives you flutterable lashes. So finding myself suddenly in possesion of a huge cache of lash paint is heavenly. Measurable Difference Lash Extensions is a three step process that bulks up lashes like Hans and Franz. Mary Kay Love lash Mascara? Yes, Please! Click to see how amazing sickening cool the Ellis Faas Mascara E401 wand is. It’s tough chic. #itrocks It Cosmetics Tightline Waterproof is insane- it’s a mascara primer that can go solo, can be used as an eyeliner, and is perfect for coating and curling those bottom lashes. All of these are amazing? But this blew me away because- it’s mascara…primer. So you put this on and then put on mascara? Love. Goin’ Tammy Faye on y’all!
Ahem. So, uh, that was mascara.
Lipstick, gloss, and acne aid:
1. Lipstick, the grown woman’s answer to everything. In this roundup we cleaned up with Rodial’s Glamstick in Thrill, a sheer tinted lipbalm that moisturizes at it glitters on your lips alluringly. Katherine Cosmetics A+ Friends lipstick is full of hydrating oils and each purchase is a charitable gift to each lipstick’s namesake. Loving Mary Kay’s True Dimensions lipstick. I got the natural Beaute shade at Beauty 20. It’s a neutral, that is actually neutral- it went on smooth, and the light tint worked with my skin. #winner
2. This is all about Rozge’s amazing lip gloss which comes with a mirror on the side- a pretty powerful flashlight built into the cap. I got three shades, from the top- New York (of course) a berry tinted stain, Barcelona a chili pepper red, and Dublin a pumpkin-y orange. The colors go on sheer, so you can build up layer by layer. #winner I also got Katherine Cosmetics Lip Protection Gloss SPF 20 in cloudy. A quick little swipe and your covered.
3. If you wewar makeup, you should make sure your skin game is on point. there is nothing worse than someone covering up a multitude of blemishes with foundation. Bullet Acne Aid can keep you from getting to that point. You dab a little of the clear formula on your blemish, and continue to apply as necessary. It usually takes a few days for it to disappear- but it will. Bullet Acne Aid has never let me down. #winnerforever
Take it all off:
Another way to keep your skin blemish free? Don’t go to sleep in your makeup. get as many boxes of Lauren Napier’s CLEANSE wipes as you need to to make sure that you use one every time you need to wipe off a face full of makeup. I, for once, used all my stuff getting ready for a party- foundation, concealer, highlighter, eyeshadow, eyeliner, etc. I came home totally tipsy- but I wasn’t too drunk to grab a CLEANSE wipe and get that makeup off. It took less than a minute, and I was able to pass out with a clean face. This is a great product, created by a woman with a message- There is beauty in taking it off #winner #winner #chickendinner
Ok, there is one last installment …next up? Nailcare!
Thanks for stopping by!
xoxo, Faith Bowman/Sassy Ethnic Bohemian